[SATLUG] Thoughts on Steam?

Nathan Templeton pb280c at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 23:56:27 CST 2013

On 02/11/2013 07:29 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2013, at 6:02 PM, Don Davis<dondavis at reglue.org>  wrote:
>
>> It's pretty good from what I can tell. The number of games is quite
>> limited (and I find some quite overpriced...)
>>
>> Anyone else giving it a try? thoughts?
> I've installed it for Mac OS X, in part because I'm interested in the "SteamPlay" possibilities, especially for some of the Star Wars games that I like.  I'm also thinking about buying Borderlands 2, although the 50% discount rate on that expired this morning.
>
> For me, I want RPGs.  I want to be able to completely control my character -- name, race, appearance, talents, skills, profession, pretty much everything.  I also prefer playing PvE games as opposed to PvP, although I'm not opposed to playing in a game that has both PvE and PvP elements so long as I can choose to remain in the PvE-only parts.
>
> Being able to play with a group of friends is a plus, but I don't like grinding.  If I am playing by myself, I want to be able to adventure with a reasonable party size, like at least five to seven characters.  Of course, I want to be able to take solo adventure loot and use that in multi-player games, and vice-versa.
>
> Style-wise, I like both fantasy and Sci-Fi, but I'm not good at games that require arcade-like reflexes.  I'm just too old for that kind of stuff.
>
> I'm fine with F2P, so long as the game is carefully balanced and the people who choose to spend large amounts of money can't just completely overwhelm everyone else.  If it's not fun for me to play while choosing not to spend any additional money, then why would I bother?
>

> So, what kind of games would that leave me?
> How many of them are available on Mac OS X?  Or Linux?
>
> --
> Brad Knowles<brad at shub-internet.org>
> LinkedIn Profile:<http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>

I agree I have not really payed to much attention to the STEAM/Linux
client. But I would like to get back to gaming on my linux box. And this
might be a viable option. Aside from doing any real homework on the
subject yet. Anyone running a Sid based install that hs it working? Feel
free to either replyto the list or mail directly off list.

~Nathan