[SATLUG] Thoughts on Steam?

John Hebert johnalexhebert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 08:34:49 CST 2013

Steam as a game distribution and browser tool works well enough on Ubuntu.
The performance requirements of the game is where Ubuntu may not be a good
fit, because of Ubuntu's use of Unity. I tried Team Fortress 2 (free) on
Ubuntu and though it ran, it was not playable. A high end gaming machine
would be needed. I bought FTL (cheap) as I like to support indie games and
it runs great on Ubuntu as the graphics requirements are low. I also
recommend trying the Droid Assault demo (I bought it; cheap.) from
http://puppygames.net. It runs great on Ubuntu and is a blast to play.
However, the install script is buggy and it requires a JRE and messing
around with the paths to the i386 graphics libs. So, it is not fully
supported yet on Linux. Consider supporting indie games and especially
those using http://www.kickstarter.com to fund their efforts to build games
for different platforms.