[SATLUG] Thoughts on Steam?

Wes Henderson whendersonii at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 11:47:27 CST 2013

Is a Steam Box actually in the works or is it just an idea? I am wondering
why Steam would not just port it over to the
OUYA<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console>,
it would not take much work since a Linux port is already in place; the
project received so much additional funding, so the specs of the machine
have gotten pretty decent and development boxes have already been shipped
to developers.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM, John Hebert <johnalexhebert at gmail.com>wrote:

> My understanding is that the Steam Box will make a lot of the Steam titles
> available. Note his emphasis on streaming and not the PC itself, which
> becomes another appliance like a TV. I recall reading somewhere Gabe
> stating he has no problem with geeks rooting the box, as it is just a PC.
> Rooting the box won't break the encryption for the software titles
> themselves.
>

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Don Davis <dondavis at reglue.org> wrote:
>
> > It will need a larger selection of games. I wouldn't expect a console
> > that just offers CounterStrike and HalfLife to be a game changer.
> >
> > It sounds good, but now I would be much more concerned about game
> > availability before shelling out the money. (For me, it would also
> > depend if I could root the box. If they have it locked down... No thank
> > you..)
> >

> > On 02/12/2013 08:46 AM, John Hebert wrote:
> > > Concerning consoles, what are you thoughts on Valve's upcoming Steam
> > > Box<
> >
> http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/gabe-newells-dice-keynote-steam-box-price-point-much-much-lo/
> > >?
> > > I think it will have a big impact on the market.
> > >
> > --

*Wes Henderson*
IT Consultant
Email: whendersonii at gmail.com

Find me on my website: weshenderson.info
And elsewhere -
     Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/118217301983867537201/posts>
     Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/wes-henderson/41/3b7/a96>
     Twitter <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?screen_name=whendersonii>

"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity." -
Dennis Ritchie