[SATLUG] Thoughts on Steam?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Feb 12 13:30:07 CST 2013

On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Wes Henderson <whendersonii at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is a Steam Box actually in the works or is it just an idea? I am wondering
> why Steam would not just port it over to the OUYA <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console>,
> it would not take much work since a Linux port is already in place; the
> project received so much additional funding, so the specs of the machine
> have gotten pretty decent and development boxes have already been shipped
> to developers.

I don't know how much stock you put in such reports, but the article at <http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/3958162/valve-steam-box-cake> indicates that the OUYA would be okay as the lowest-level of streaming players, but it's not going to address the Xbox/PS3 segment of the market that Valve seems to be interested in.

It sounds like they're serious about wanting to create reference implementations which can then be licensed by other manufacturers, all built around Linux as a platform that is independent of OS vendors like Microsoft and Apple, and using the Steam network as the way to share and download all the content, game save files, etc....

Dunno.  It will be interesting to see what develops.