[SATLUG] Re: Questions about home server security: non-standard ports

Wes Henderson whendersonii at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 14:59:47 CST 2013

I think it goes back to "security is a process, not a product." In other
words many layers of security are needed to create a "secure" server, and
obfuscation is indeed one layer (albeit a thin one). At most you will stop
some script-kiddies, but honestly, unless you consider yourself a high
priority target for hackers, then your biggest concern is script-kiddies.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at gmail.com>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>   Thanks for the suggestions about security on a home server. I see that
> one thing people do is use non-standard ports.
> I have done that myself, but get the feeling that it's just security
> through obfuscation and does nothing more than put a little hurdle in the
> way of a cracker, and increases complexity. So what do you think: is this
> worthwhile as a security measure?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Huddleston

*Wes Henderson*
IT Consultant
Email: whendersonii at gmail.com

Find me on my website: weshenderson.info
And elsewhere -
     Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/118217301983867537201/posts>
     Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/wes-henderson/41/3b7/a96>
     Twitter <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?screen_name=whendersonii>

"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity." -
Dennis Ritchie