[SATLUG] Re: Questions about home server security: non-standard ports

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 16:52:55 CST 2013

isnt everything you're doing just a hurdle anyway?   You're making it more complicated than it should be.  Close ports that you dont need open, keep security patches applied when they come out.   Its more the software thats the problem not necessarily the ports.  My server is sitting out there without an actual hardware firewall, just IPFilter and non standard ports. Never had an issue.  If it does get hacked, I dont care. I keep it on a seperate network and will just blow it away and reinstall.