[SATLUG] Questions about home server security: non-standard ports

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 20:56:23 CST 2013

--- On Thu, 2/21/13, David Kowis <dkowis at shlrm.org> wrote:

> Is there a logwatch for solaris? That might cover your bases
> as well.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/logwatch/files/
>
> It can get too noisy, and so isn't quite as good as having
> nagios
> watch for things or something like that, as well it doesn't
> provide
> you a very good trending analysis so you can see when spikes
> of
> activity happen, but it does mail you a summary of log
> events nicely
> organized :)

Yes, I can run logwatch on mine..but in all honesty..I shut down whatever ports on my server that I dont want accessible, then in IPFilter I tell it explicitly what I want coming in and what can go out.  There really isnt anything that I consider important on there, network is seperate from my personal network etc.  Other than that, unless there is a Apache, Drupal flaw or Piwigo (my photo gallery), I should be good to go.

Man...lots of talk on this subject..hopefully nobody is getting tired of seeing this.  LOL

-Alex