[SATLUG] Linux Certifications

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 18:58:54 CST 2013

In the Microsoft world, certs are pieces of paper that tell other people
that
you have cookie cutter skills.  You are certified to know what other people
know.  You can be trusted to handle certain tasks without creating serious
problems at a certain pay scale.

In the Linux world, you actually have to know what you are doing -- not
just have a piece of paper saying you know something.  Linux people
are not interchangable -- they are not generic.

Do some software development.  Learn what is under the hood.
Do "Linux from Scratch."  Distributions are nice, but obscure the
beauty of Linux.

Othniel