[SATLUG] Linux Certifications

Garrett Heaton gbear14275 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 19:15:34 CST 2013

Unfortunately while that may be true... Certifications do return their
value when it comes to trying for employment.  Many companies don't know
enough about what a certification means or if it's meaningful, but isn't
that the same thing with a college degree too?  Either way the value of
"having a certification" is more than just the technical skill.  It shows
motivation, responsibility and responsibility.  I know lots of linux
ninja's who would be passed over time and time again for an interview,
because a novice contender had a certification, a sharp appearance and a
clean resume.  That being said...

Linux+ is an easy one, Red Hat certifications will carry more weight.

Not sure if this is still available but you can get 3 certs for the price
of one here...
http://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/partnership-programs/comptia

A cert might help you get an interview... but after that, if they can't
perform (including during interview questions) then they'll be quickly
found out...