[SATLUG] Installing with mdadm and luks when the installer does not support it

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 05:23:29 CST 2013

Hello satlug,

I want to try Linux Mint. Its installer does not support mdadm raid or
luks. I've set up mdadm raid without an installer before in Gentoo,
and both luks+mdadm supported by the Fedora installer. I have not much
idea about setting up LUKS from the command line. I've found this
guide:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18743

I have a few questions:

1) Will Linux Mint installer be able to install to /dev/md0 if I
create the raid from the command line and load the appropriate kernel
modules?

2) Should I set up LUKS first and then MDADM or MDADM then LUKS?

3) Can LUKS be used to encrypt an already installed Linux System that
does not have disk encryption yet?

Fedora 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 32CA 0B0B 8A07 6969 7581 BD47 6053
3930 1D4B DC3E

Web: http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
Code: https://github.com/BullShark/JSpeak