[SATLUG] Lib's, Lib's and more Lib's

Nathan Oxhandler nathan at gvtc.com
Tue Jan 22 09:28:19 CST 2013

I was looking in the Debian Package Manager at the Libraries section. Doing a quick count I came up with about 2,900 of them. Yes, I know that not all of them are part of every installation, but I have probably 300 of them installed.

Windows has many .dll packages. On my Windows 7 machine I have over 10,700 of them on the disk.

I do not have a MAC so I do not know what they have.

Has there ever been a group that has looked at all the different .lib packages to see if there are two or more .lib's doing the same thing or very close to the same thing?

How much memory and disk space could we save if we just cut the number of .lib's by 10% to 15%?

How much faster would Linux run if it did not have to jump from .lib to .lib?

How much time could we save doing 'Up Dates'?

Nathan