[SATLUG] Possible attack

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Thu Jan 24 12:54:18 CST 2013

Yes I am using Mint & ext3 fs. let me clear one point first is I was booted from sda6 I also have two partitions on sda that contain broken installs and waiting for a replacement dvd drive to arrive to reinstall.

The drive that went wild is a 200g USB that I only use for backup. It normally is off. I also hit a prob this morning my kb went dead (usb) but when I moved the wire it has a bad connect at the kb so have it fixed I think that is what happened I was typing in a pidgin window when this happened. I am checking out the logs now so I should be able to rack this down since I know the exact time period I also  cannot run on live dvd since that unit is broke.

My working sys is functioning completely normal. I am inclined to believe I transmitted who knows what command with the wire arcing at the break I also did have a cli terminal open in background so I may even have triggered it.

Thanks for the response I will whack at this and the logs for while & let ya know what I find
hh