[SATLUG] screen recording tool

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Jul 20 10:07:52 CDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 03:09:47PM -0500, Austin Lowery wrote:
> I have played around with Recordmydesktop and Kazam from the Ubuntu 13.04
> software center and with my set up Kazam is a winner for sure.
> Recordmydesktop is great for videos about 30 seconds long, and then for
> some reason it just stops recording. Its probably just my set up though.  I
> can take long high resolution viedos with Kazam.
>
> I am running an Intel® Core? i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4 with 8 gigs of ram.

I tried both of these without success. Recordmydesktop basically failed to
record fast enough, and the -fps setting seemed to be without effect. And
that was on an 8-core I7 with ssd drive and 8GB RAM, certainly enough
horsepower. Kazam requires Python 3.2, Slackware comes with 2.7.3 in
the latest version so it refuses to run under Slackware. I don't have
an Ubuntu box to try it.

I think I may have found something that would work: a combination of
vnctoflv, x11vnc and the KDE plasma desktop effects. I can run x11vnc
on my linux :0 desktop on my second screen and record that screen with
vnctoflv. The recorded flash video is smooth and very high quality. I can
resize the resolution of the second screen easily with desktop setting
app in KDE to whatever I need and with the plasma desktop in KDE I can
use various magnification effects to highlight and magnify a rectangle
around the mouse which nicely tracks on the vnc screen and gets recorded,
so I have my magnification effect incorporated. One thing I would like to
be able to do is panning under vnc (not scrolling), where the desktop
dynamically expands by following the mouse. Haven't figure this one out
yet.

One thing that I also need to figure out is how to record a mp3 sound
track and multiplex it synchronized to the flash movie. There is an app
that comes with the vnctoflv program that is supposed to do that.

Some more testing needed....

Thanks for all the suggestions! -b.