[SATLUG] minecraft on ubuntu

buddylee48 buddylee48 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 14:43:15 CDT 2013

The real problem lies in that minecraft depends on Oracle Java. With the
latest huge security blackhole with Oracle Java no wonder ubuntu made a
quick and good decision by switching to open source java. It's good that
distributions value you're security as opposed to making sure every game
works. Don't worry though if you still really want to play it and are aware
of the problems you can certainly install Oracle Java and make it default,
but it won't be officially supported by ubuntu until they've fixed it
(might be a year or two...). There are plenty of online tutorials and
probably a ppa available.