[SATLUG] Questions about privacy and related ad-ons.

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Mar 8 09:13:10 CST 2013

On Mar 8, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Michael Endsley <michael.endsley at collegeplus.org> wrote:

> Tor network + VPN will probably provide the greatest privacy you can hope
> for -- however, there is another add-on that might be worth considering
> called Firegloves. Your particular browser and system configuration (called
> your fingerprint), as viewable from your connection's other end in typical
> browsing, can still be used to track you even if you're routing through
> anonymity networks. Firegloves will spoof fingerprints for you.

Regretfully, it looks like Firegloves hasn't been updated in quite a while, and the notes at the top of the "Read More" page says that due to changes in their team they won't be able to make any more updates.

There are other plugins that let you protect your fingerprint, but they don't look like they would be as good as Firegloves.  One I saw would modify all the various different things that sites do to detect what browser and OS you're running and make it look like you're on IE on Windows 7 -- that might be okay for some folks, but a lot of sites will adjust their behaviour based on what kind of browser and OS you're on, and if you're not actually using that browser and OS then you can get a very sub-standard view of that site.

Anyway, keep an eye on the panopticlick.eff.org site.  They're likely to know about tools to help you protect your fingerprint, as well as being able to help you test your fingerprint so that you can see the tools in action.