[SATLUG] Static IP Address

Mike Wallace m.a.wallace at gmail.com
Fri May 3 14:20:49 CDT 2013

This isn't a Linux question per se, but I thought that perhaps someone else
here has encountered a situation similar to what I'm facing. I work with a
client who has a very strict firewall policy and my public IP address is
specifically included in the firewall rules. This is fine until my IP
address updates, and I am locked out until I contact my client and have him
update the firewall. When my IP resets, I get seemingly random address from
the 68.x.x.x or 69.x.x.x networks. My client doesn't want to create
exemptions for such large address ranges. The best solution would be for my
client to set up VPN access, but is there anything that I can do on my end
to get a static IP set up without having to pay an unworldly charge to AT&T?

Buying a static IP from AT&T is ungodly expensive -- more than double my
current monthly payment -- so that's out. I've heard that U-verse IPs
change rarely, but U-verse is not available in my neighborhood, which is
weird since I am well inside San Antonio. The idiots working the phones at
AT&T can't answer any questions outside of whatever they read "answers" out
of. I couldn't even get a straight answer to basic questions like "you're
quoting me the price of ONE static IP address, not a block of 8 or 16,
right?" For the record, I called on different occasions and got the same
"answers" no matter who I talked to.

Anyway, as I said, the obvious solution is for my client to set up VPN
access. In lieu of that, is there anything that I can do to circumvent AT&T
to get a static IP? I'd even take a dynamic IP address if it only updated a
couple times a month instead of a couple times a week. I don't mind paying
a little a month for a static IP, but not the unreasonable AT&T price.
Ideas?