[SATLUG] Static IP Address

rabie at rabie.net rabie at rabie.net
Fri May 3 14:32:21 CDT 2013

I would say, create a free dyndns account and register a hostname
that will point to your public IP, try to configure your router or a
free client to update that periodically.

Now at the firewall level,
have them add a hostname instead of the IP and what ever their DNS
resolves to will be your latest IP address.

Cheers,

On 2013-05-03
13:27, buddylee48 wrote:

> Get a VPS with a static ip, have them open
the firewall for that machine.

>> From there you have a couple
>
> 1. Forward all traffic through to the client (ie. ssh,
vpn, etc...)
> 2. Use that VPS by logging in remotely
>
> a VPS is
probably cheaper than what AT&T asks for and I'll will tell you
> this
now, AT&T is notorious for blocking certain kinds of traffic.

Tunneling will circumvent this (ie VPN), but can be slightly difficult
> setup if you've never done this before.
>
> besides VPS's are
great, you can start up an irssi client and connect to
> freenode and
finally chat with us lonely folk and idle forever!

2013 at 2:20 PM, Mike Wallace <m.a.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This
isn't a Linux question per se, but I thought that perhaps someone else
here has encountered a situation similar to what I'm facing. I work with
a client who has a very strict firewall policy and my public IP address
is specifically included in the firewall rules. This is fine until my IP
address updates, and I am locked out until I contact my client and have
him update the firewall. When my IP resets, I get seemingly random
address from the 68.x.x.x or 69.x.x.x networks. My client doesn't want
to create exemptions for such large address ranges. The best solution
would be for my client to set up VPN access, but is there anything that
I can do on my end to get a static IP set up without having to pay an
unworldly charge to AT&T? Buying a static IP from AT&T is ungodly
expensive -- more than double my current monthly payment -- so that's
out. I've heard that U-verse IPs change rarely, but U-verse is not
available in my neighborhood, which is weird since I am well inside San
Antonio. The idiots working the phones at AT&T can't answer any
questions outside of whatever they read "answers" out of. I couldn't
even get a straight answer to basic questions like "you're quoting me
the price of ONE static IP address, not a block of 8 or 16, right?" For
the record, I called on different occasions and got the same "answers"
no matter who I talked to. Anyway, as I said, the obvious solution is
for my client to set up VPN access. In lieu of that, is there anything
that I can do to circumvent AT&T to get a static IP? I'd even take a
dynamic IP address if it only updated a couple times a month instead of
a couple times a week. I don't mind paying a little a month for a static
IP, but not the unreasonable AT&T price. Ideas? --

Links:
------