[SATLUG] NAS HD recommendation

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue May 21 22:00:49 CDT 2013

Alex Bartonek wrote:
> I'm looking at finally putting together my home NAS.  Its a 1U rack
> mount, 6 SATA ports, 1 will have a 2.5" 320gb boot drive, then 4
> slots for 3TB xxxx brand hard drives.
>
> I was thinking the "WD Red NAS" drives.  I'm going to leave it
> running 24/7 so I didnt want to run regular SATA drives since I at
> least want some sort of durable drive and it will be in a RAID config
> running CentOS.
>
> Any other drive recommendation?

On my main system that I've had since 2005, I have a Maxtor 6Y080M (80G)
and a Seagate ST3250310AS (250G).  I almost never turn off the system
and there is no hint of any problems with smartd.

I think spending extra for 'industrial' drives is not a particularly
good expense.  That's what you have backups/RAID.

I can't recall when I last had a HD failure, but I think it's been over
10 years.

Other dives I have:

WDC WD3200AAKS-75L9A0 (320G)
Seagate ST3750330AS (750G) (two drives)
INTEL SSDSA2CT040G3 (40G)
Seagate ST3250820AS (250G)

I believe the key is to keep the disks cool.

   -- Bruce