[SATLUG] NAS HD recommendation

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed May 22 09:24:50 CDT 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 4:47 AM, Todd W. Bucy <todd at bucy-medrano.me> wrote:

> I'd the drives you are going to use are 2.5 inch then I would have to
> recommend the Seagate momentus xt series.  Its a far and reliable.   Also
> for a nas solution I would have to recommend freenas.  Easy to set up and
> maintain.

Seagate has said that they're getting out of the business of doing high-speed 2.5" SATA drives.  The current Momentus XT drives will apparently be the end of that line.  They will continue to do high-capacity 2.5" drives, at least for now -- but Flash media is catching up fast.

I suspect they're going to do the same for SATA drives in other lines, too -- if you want speed, go with Flash or SAS, and SATA will be reserved for high-capacity.

Don't get me wrong, I love Momentus XT drives -- I'm on my second unit now, having upgraded the 500GB model when I ran out of disk space.  But this will apparently be the last model of 7200rpm 2.5" SATA drive that they make.