[SATLUG] NAS HD recommendation

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 16:31:57 CDT 2013

--- On Tue, 5/21/13, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] NAS HD recommendation
> Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:00 PM

> I think spending extra for 'industrial' drives is not a
> particularly good expense.  That's what you have
> backups/RAID.

I was thinking just running regular SATA HD's which would save me $50/drive.  I hear good stories and bad stories about drives, I guess I wanted to be safe.  But you're right..I'll just make sure I have enough spares and just monitor SMART data that my morning reports have on my server.  If you're thinking "morning reports??"..LOL.. I have 2 servers at home running 24/7 and yes, I have them generating reports for various things like SMART data, dmesg output, disk space etc and I look at them every day.

-Alex