[SATLUG] NAS HD recommendation

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed May 22 19:29:10 CDT 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Alex Bartonek <bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So the "easiest way" to do this and use ZFS out of the box would be to run FreeNAS then as was stated earlier.  No biggie, I can go that route.
>
> Good replies..thanks guys!

I'm not that familiar with the more recent additions to the featureset for ZFS, but that's definitely the place I would want to start.  And FreeNAS is a good way to get started easily with ZFS.

Myself, I have a Drobo at home, and although it hasn't failed on me (yet), I have had a couple of failed disks, and I know something about the kind of shitty tricks they're doing under the covers to lie to the operating system about what is actually on the filesystem.  IMO, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

So, I will be real interested to hear about your experience with FreeNAS and ZFS.