[SATLUG] NAS HD recommendation

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed May 22 22:06:39 CDT 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Todd W. Bucy <todd at bucy-medrano.me> wrote:

> Your gonna hate the performance on virtualbox, I was never able to get it
> to run under kvm, the latest freenas doesn't have the virto drivers.  That
> said it does just all storage standards and loves real hardware. I'm
> currently using a freenas box for iscsi shared storage on my kvm cluster at
> work.

If I could find a good mini-tower configuration that included slots for five or more 3.5" SATA hard drives (slots like the Drobo uses, where you don't need sleds), then I'd definitely be happy to give FreeNAS+ZFS a try with some less expensive disks.  I just haven't found a good case+mobo combination in that form factor.