[SATLUG] Are you a distro hopper?

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 15:15:45 CST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Rabie Khabouze <rabie at rabie.net> wrote:

> I can't call myself a hopper but an explorer, I started with redhat as a
> desktop in early 2000 then I met Debian, it was different. Since I went to
> university in Germany Open Suse were big deal, so I used them for quiet a
> while, and non linux such as Aix, SGI, Solaris, Free/open BSD.
> I loaded many other distros (Arch, Mandrak/Mandriva, Ubuntu and such) on
> vmware/virtualbox just to learn their architecture, packaging system,
> security etc.
> Now im using Fedora as desktop, Centos as server and ubuntu studio as
> media center at home,and at work, I m running Windows ( for compatibility
> testing ) ,Fedora on top of it. And bunch of CentOS VMs.
> One legacy slackware is still running for almost a decade.
>
> Bottom line I like Fedora as my main distro and I ll keep exploring the
> others.

I distro hopped more in my first few years. But still I run multiple
distros, Gentoo on the laptop, Linux Mint w/Cinnamon in raid0 on the
desktop. And I switched from CentOS to Fedora on the server because I
wanted newer versions of Ant and Apache Tomcat since I run Gitblit and
develop in Java. I could install those newer versions in CentOS without the
package manager, but I like to be able to update the entire system through
the package manager as soon as updates become available, especially
security updates. I have a few more distros in virtual box as well as my
bootable usb drive.

Fedora 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 32CA 0B0B 8A07 6969 7581 BD47 6053 3930
1D4B DC3E