[SATLUG] Switching distros - what settings/files to back up

Mark Spieth mspieth376 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 15:02:06 CDT 2013

Debian unlike Ubuntu contains only free non proprietary software. Some drivers may not be opensource and therefore not part of the Debian repo.

Before you reload your netbook, make sure you know which sound card and network cards you have. lspci -vnn should output that for you. Then you can start looking for the drivers you'll need. You may also want to output your installed software from your old install. It may be helpful after the new install. you can do this via the command:  dpkg --get-selections > software.txt