[SATLUG] Affordable Healthcare websites

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Oct 5 16:11:01 CDT 2013

Does anyone have any insight why the websites for the new health insurance
exchanges were unable to handle the high demand? (NB: no flames about
Obamacare please). I am curious if this is a function of Microsoft web servers
vs. Linux web servers. It seems to me that if you have enough bandwidth and
a fairly recent computer with Linux having sufficient memory and multi-core
architecture it would be quite difficult to bring such a server down. To phrase it
differently, how much demand would you need to bring such a server down? A
typical LAMP configuration should be able to hold up to pretty extreme demands.

On the other hand, this may not hold for even new versions of Microsoft webserver,
but I don't know this. Is this an issue that could have been avoided by using
Linux instead? Does anyone have any insights here?

-b.