[SATLUG] OT: Wireless Networking

Don Wright satlug at wricomp.org
Wed Sep 11 09:42:46 CDT 2013

Alan Lesmerises wrote:
>I'd like to understand why certain settings will help or hurt, and what
>different optional components are useful for (without having to do
>separate searches for each individual term).

One setting that might matter is b/g/n protocol. If all of your
equipment supports 802.11n, then set everyone to 11n only. There is a
switching time between each mode to allow the different protocols to
coexist, If you're not interested in talking to an 11b device, then why
interrupt your stream to listen for those packets? Similarly, you may
get better actual throughput selecting 11b only if one of your devices
has a lot of overhead in a mixed environment.

Another potential glitch is USB wireless adapters that don't actually
shut down when the computer is "off". Many USB jacks continue to supply
power for device charging or wake-up events, and this can keep the
wireless adapter transmitting. Those device-to-device "can you hear me
now?" handshakes reduce the time available to send data.
  --Don