[SATLUG] Recent Distro

Nathan Templeton pb280c at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 26 00:19:54 CDT 2013

On 09/25/2013 10:45 PM, Glenn Boswell wrote:
> In an effort to maybe get back into Linux on a laptop I just tried Fedora 19 KDE and Gnome and really dissappointed in the interface. Both were live 64 bit. In a class I teach that has Windows 7 and Fedora 13 (both in virtual settings) the students seem to like the Gnome GUI. The main emphasis in the class is command line but we use the GUI to show similarity between the two then use command line to build scripts and basic command line skills, nothing real heavy. DOing this I realized I haven't had a Linux Laptop since 2009 when I moved to OSX which has all the command line ability of Linux in a more friendly GUI environment (sounds like I'm getting old and lazy doesn't it). I have some student that I'd like to show a real Linux environment and picked Fedora 19, which may be not the best but has the RedHat linage for when they take the Unix 1 class where we use Ubuntu server and Centos Server. I kinda do not want to do the Ubuntu desktop with the fancy
>   Unity interface as they will never see the heart of Linux (I may be way out of touch on this). Any recommendations as a distro to load on a Laptop ( i5 with 8G) that would be a good one to win over some converts, yet still be command line similar to RedHat. Damn I have been away from Linux a long time.....
>
> Thank
> Boz
>
> Freedom is not Free, let us not Forget!
>

> "We make a living by what we Get.
> We make a LIFE by what we GIVE."Sir Winston Churchill
That is a bit of a pickle Boz, for me I am more of a Debian guy. But
when I was part of the LUG in Anchorage, there was a guy there that was
a huge Fedora/RedHat guy. He gave me an iso of
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos. It really was
not bad at the time. I and tried this iso out in a vm. It has come along
way. It might bridge the gap that you are looking for.

While you have the backbone of Fedora here, you have more options for
WM's you can go OpenBox, Flux if you really want them to learn, or XFCE
if they need a bit more when it comes to a gui interface. From what I
remember, during the install you can pick your WM of choice. And it is
pretty strait forward from there.

HrH,

Nathan