[SATLUG] Transitioning From Windows XP

Andy wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 1 16:39:24 CDT 2014

I'm the list's ignorant desktop user.  If one just wants an easy
transition from Windows XP, I suggest Ubuntu.  Everything works like
Windows, so no problem there.  I have been using Ubuntu a long time;
always the LTS version (12.04 currently).  The up dates come down
automatically, i.e. are offered.  I seldom know what they do, but just
hit install, maybe enter my password, and that's it.

I have kept a copy of XP, primarily to deal with the income tax program,
but also for other stuff that will only work on Windows, like the GPS
update program.  There is the problem.  I'll need a way to deal with
such stuff.  My taxes are too complex to do on line.  I may be forced to
use my wife's Mac, but that is inconvenient. Suggestion will be welcome.

Andy Pickens