[SATLUG] The difference between Linux and OpenSSL

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Apr 21 15:25:51 CDT 2014

On Apr 21, 2014, at 2:07 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> The same thing could be counted as 1, 2, 3, or 4 lines of code.  My own preference for counting is to ignore a brace on a line by itself. However, there is no standard.

Actually, I think there are some standards in this space.  The issue is that there are multiple standards, and we have to choose.  Do we choose the original K&R style, or C89, or C99, or ... ?

For each programming language, I believe that there are a small set of canonical coding styles that are generally agreed upon, and so what you have to do is to pick one, and then take any code not written in that style and re-write it.  Once you've canonicalized the coding style, you can apply measurements in a more meaningful way.

Some languages are more tolerant of varying coding styles, but there are many different "prettifier" programs out there, for various languages.  Choose one, or at least choose one for each language you care about.