[SATLUG] The difference between Linux and OpenSSL

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:47:33 CDT 2014

Brad Knowles wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2014, at 2:07 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The same thing could be counted as 1, 2, 3, or 4 lines of code.  My
>> own preference for counting is to ignore a brace on a line by
>> itself. However, there is no standard.
>
> Actually, I think there are some standards in this space.  The issue
> is that there are multiple standards, and we have to choose.  Do we
> choose the original K&R style, or C89, or C99, or ... ?
>
> For each programming language, I believe that there are a small set
> of canonical coding styles that are generally agreed upon, and so
> what you have to do is to pick one, and then take any code not
> written in that style and re-write it.  Once you've canonicalized the
> coding style, you can apply measurements in a more meaningful way.
>
> Some languages are more tolerant of varying coding styles, but there
> are many different "prettifier" programs out there, for various
> languages.  Choose one, or at least choose one for each language you
> care about.

There are lots of problems with programs like indent.  They don't know
how to apply exceptions.  For instance in bash, many times we'll use

./configure --prefix=/tools

but I have yet to find something that will allow

./configure --prefix=/tools       \
             --with-tcl=/tools/lib \
             --with-tclinclude=/tools/include

In the same way with C, you may want to format

int   variable1 = 0;
float var2      = 1.0;

I haven't found anything that will do that either.

I will say that weave comes close, but that makes the code difficult to
debug.

   -- Bruce