[SATLUG] Devuan

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Mon Dec 1 17:59:42 CST 2014

It should be noted that he also said... "but those are details, not big
issues."

beyond that, on top of the monolithic argument, sure, it is monolithic
source, but you are not required to run
the entire thing if you don't want to. Ubuntu elected on 14.04 to continue
to use upstart, and are only using logind and udev, maybe other tools, but
that are the two that I remember.  They do not have all of systemd
installed. I do think we can all agree that it would be better if we could
build all the parts separately so I don't have to build the whole thing
just to build the python2 bindings.

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/python2-systemd

That is super annoying.

But overall, I like systemd.

Not using pidof anymore to figure out what the pid of the daemon is so that
it can be killed when stopping the daemons, and instead just intelligently
tracking them.

The binary logs are meh, but i do like being able to just parse one service
at a time.

logind + loginctl make troubleshooting some things I had with consolekit
much easier.

Certain race conditions are solved by the sd_notify stuff, so that
dependencies only start after the service actually notifies systemd that it
has finished starting.

https://github.com/saltstack/salt/blob/develop/salt/utils/process.py#L260

My favorite thing above everything, is just the user session stuff.  I use
it on all my personal devices, not servers, and it doesn't really matter
that much for servers, but when I login on the console, it starts X using
the systemd sockets that are now in xorg.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User#Xorg_as_a_systemd_user_service
https://github.com/gtmanfred/systemd-user

It doesn't start X, it just listens on that socket and passes everything
off to Xorg when I start my first process like dwm, or dwb or something.

I use this a lot for embedded devices, so that it just gets plugged up, and
boots, and then logins by overriding the getty service
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Automatic_login_to_virtual_console#Virtual_console

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/log/?qt=author&q=daniel+wallace

Sure, not all of this is things everything wants, but I would still through
out there that systemd is usefull, and it does things well that are nice.

Try it and decide for yourself.

90% of people aren't really going to encounter any of the stuff that is
actually argued about it.

Daniel