[SATLUG] Devuan

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 17:57:07 CST 2014

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Jonathan Kelley <jonkelley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm happy Debian forked.
>
> Systemd violates unix philosophy: do one thing, do it well, pipe programs
> together, use shell scripts where feasible.
>
> Worst of all, it violates Debian's rule of choice, you can have 10 window
> managers, 3 different cron systems, 3 mail systems, 4 dns systems, 6 web
> servers, but only 1 init system? I understand this will make init scripts
> among distros easier and streamline a lot, but the forced nature of this is
> what I'm against.
>
> I will support any project which demands and enforces the unix philosophy
> and linux pro-choice that made it the system we love.
>
> --
> Jon
>
> * JonK gives kris a colourful gift box with question marks and tux's
> printed all over. "Open it!"
> * Kris looks around nervously and slowly opens it
> <JonK> it's empty!
> <JonK> the box represents what an open-source linux programmer makes in a
> year
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Christopher Lemire <
> christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I think competition is always good, and if it's worth using, it'll be
>> > popular.
>> >
>> > Personally I wish they'd move away from sysvinit, and use uselessd,
>> > which brings the good things of systemd, without all the monolithic
>> > stupidity. But that's just what I'd like to see.

>> > --
>>
>> Perhaps forking uselessd again could resolve the issue? :P
>> --

I dislike pro-choice when it comes to murder because it was an excuse
for me to have my xgf get an abortion many years ago at a planned
parenthood. When it comes to open source, people can code open source
as a hobby including a debian fork perhaps? What it likely boils down
to is ensuring Gnome will run on a non systemd Linux Workstation using
other init systems such as sysvinit.

Christopher Lemire