[SATLUG] Check if stdin is empty when using socat

Rabie Khabouze rabie at rabie.net
Thu Dec 4 09:06:32 CST 2014

Hello,

I m using socat to transfer file from one server to another. I have the
following command running in the background on one of the servers

socat tcp-l:8989,reuseaddr,fork exec:/opt/scripts/printdoc.sh

and in printdoc.sh I have the following code :

#!/bin/bash
now=$date +"%Y%m%d-%H-%s")

filename="spdoc.$now.txt"

rtval=0

while [ $rtval != 0 ]; then

     cat - >> /opt/scripts/docs/$filename

     $rv=$?

done

Do something else down here ..

Now when I cat a file from the other server, my script triggers but it
never goes outside the while loop, somehow it is not reading the exit
code $?  it should be grater than 0

any thoughts ?

Thanks

Rabie