[SATLUG] Centos installation issue

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 18 20:54:53 CST 2014

I'm trying to set-up an HP ProLiant DL380 G5 server with Centos 7, and
I've run into a problem that I don't know what to think of, or how to
address it.

I've installed the exact same version of Centos a few times before with
no problems ever.  Yet when I installed in on this server, it completes
the initial install and reboots, only to crash (and go the shell prompt)
with the following errors (abbreviated here):

fsck: error 2
could not boot
/dev/centos/root does not exist
/dev/centos/swap does not exist
/dev/centos/by-uuid/[_a_very_long_hex_string_] does not exist

I googled this issue but came up empty (at least as far as the
particular problem I'm having).

The only thing about this installation that's different than previous
times is that the P800 RAID controller in the server is not recognized
automatically by the installer.  I had to add a couple of extra
parameters at the initial boot-up so the installer could see the logical
drives defined by the controller:

hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 and hpsa.hpsa_simple_mode=1

As I understand it, it seems that the controller hardware uses a
technology (?) that's no longer in vogue.

Does any of this look familiar to anyone?  Any recommendations on how to
fix this?

Al Lesmerises