[SATLUG] simultaneously burning multiple DVDs

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Dec 26 12:14:44 CST 2014

Recently a question has come up for which I do not have a good answer -
does anyone have a good explanation for this:

If one has multiple DVD writers installed and wants to make multiple
copies of the same iso file by simultaneously writing them to all
installed DVD writers, such an operation produces faulty drives.
Furthermore, K3B does not allow writing to multiple drives - there must
be a reason for that.

I am trying to figure out where the bottleneck is. Initially, I suspected
that the harddrive my not be fast enough to be read by multiple cdrecord
instances. But copying the iso file to a ramdrive and burning with the
ramdrive location as the source offered little to no improvement. The
SATA drives (configured as a RAID) should not be a bottleneck. I measured
the sustained read speed to be no less than 150 MB/sec.

Is there is a solution so one can write to multiple writable DVD drives,
and where is the bottleneck? Does anyone have experience with this
particular problem?

Thanks, and happy holidays to all! -borries