[SATLUG] simultaneously burning multiple DVDs

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Dec 30 11:40:23 CST 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 11:45:18PM -0600, Craig wrote:
> > Borries Demeler on Fri Dec 26 12:14:44 CST 2014 wrote:
> > Recently a question has come up for which I do not have a good answer -
> > does anyone have a good explanation for this:
> >
> > If one has multiple DVD writers installed and wants to make multiple
> > copies of the same iso file by simultaneously writing them to all
> > installed DVD writers, such an operation produces faulty drives.
> > Furthermore, K3B does not allow writing to multiple drives - there must
> > be a reason for that.
> Might be possible under a real time linux kernel.  This doesn't get around the
> the issues of programs like K3B not allowing writing to multiple drives at once.

I am happy to use cdrecord from the commandline, I was just wondering why K3B only
allows a single instance to be run, and if it had something to do with this
faulty DVD issue when more than one are written simultaneously. What bottleneck
does the real time kernel overcome that a regular multi-core system cannot handle?

> *> Othniel Graichen on Mon Dec 29 22:38:41 CST 2014 wrote:
> *> The linux cdwriting app is not written/designed to be run in parallel.  It
> *> is designed to compensate for the small buffers on many early drives.
> *> Should the write buffer be depleted while another task is trying to fill the
> *> wrong buffer you have what is called a buffer underrun error.
>
> So, what's really needed is a "DVD hardware farm".

Thanks for your suggestion, but:
First, I want to understand *why* such a setup would even be necessary. I
realize that I could just pop one drive into 4 different computers and
run this by some remote control program. But that is not the solution
I want to consider right now until I understand better where the limitation
actually is.

-b.