[SATLUG] simultaneously burning multiple DVDs

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Dec 30 12:01:33 CST 2014

On Dec 30, 2014, at 11:40 AM, Borries Demeler <demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> First, I want to understand *why* such a setup would even be necessary. I
> realize that I could just pop one drive into 4 different computers and
> run this by some remote control program. But that is not the solution
> I want to consider right now until I understand better where the limitation
> actually is.

I’m convinced it’s a driver problem.  That software was written in the days when all you ever had was a single CD/DVD writer attached to your machine (if you were lucky), and it was intended to maximize the probability of having a good write session on that one device that it was talking to.

Trying to have your computer writing to multiple CD/DVD writers at the same time is like trying to have a one-armed paper hanger doing drywall in one room, wallpaper downstairs, and doing stenciling on a wall across town — all at the same time.