[SATLUG] Light version of Linux

Steev Klimaszewski threeway at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 12:29:12 CST 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 3:27 AM, Christopher Lemire <
christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 3:59 AM, Steev Klimaszewski <threeway at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Christopher Lemire <
> > christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Optimizing Gentoo ... You need many - (minus) USE flags that are
> >>

> > USE="-* <enable the ones you want here>"
> >
> >> used to compile your software.
> >
> > Disclaimer: I've been a Gentoo developer since November 2005.  It can be
> > great distro, but it's definitely not for everyone.
>
> When using that to disable all flags except explicitly enabled ones,
> does it matter what "eselect profile list" is set to? It will just be
> overriden, right?
> --

It does matter somewhat...  because the profile is more than just useflags.
USE flags will be overridden, yes, but there is more to the profile than
just use flags although that is probably the biggest part.  There are a
number of things set in the profile that show up when you do "emerge
--info"

For example with the developer profile set up (and this profile is meant
for *Gentoo* developers, not someone who works on open source in general
(both are highly encouraged though!)) we add

PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="${PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES} qa"

So this turns on logging of QA messages as well as any other logging that
gets done.  We also turn on the features "sign" (gpg sign your commits to
cvs), "splitdebug" (
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces ) - test &
test-fail-continue (enable tests ,and continue even if they fail - because
we're logging everything!)

That being said, if I were to be installing on a machine, I'd probably take
the profile closest to what I want, then do an emerge --info and look to
see if there are any useflags that i *don't* want being enabled, and
disable them.