[SATLUG] A challenge for all seasoned experts :-)

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 29 22:47:11 CST 2014

I remember there was a standard that came out called "RLL" that
effectively increased hard-drive capacity by about 50% over MFM.  I
believe the IDE and Enhanced IDE (EIDE) formats came next and pre-dated
the modern ATA interface standards.  In fact, it looks like even the
EIDE format didn't come out until a few years after your system was
manufactured.

I also seem to recall DOS having trouble dealing with primary hard-drive
partitions over 2 GB & needed the rest to be designated as an "extended"
partition (or something like that).  I think it had to do with the
maximum number of sectors the DOS formatting could keep track of in the
FAT.  There were some aftermarket drivers that would allow accessing
more capacity, but I don't think they were standardized.  I don't know
if it applies to your computer, but I also recall that older BIOS needed
to have specifics for number of cylinders, heads, tracks, etc. entered
in manually (i.e., there was no auto-detect capability).

Someone else mentioned that networking required using a Novell driver,
and I seem to recall the same.

You might want to contact Art Hall -- with all the old PC's that he's
gotten over the years, he may have some of that older software (I even
gave him some myself a few years back).

Al Lesmerises