[SATLUG] Building a profitable IT future

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 10:07:46 CDT 2014

Security+ is a basic requirement if you're going to want to do Govt work.  In general though, that cert is a joke.

 All,
      I've been working in a fast growing
 company for just short of 3 yrs.
 Having started small, we've kept 2 to 3 IT staff to do
 everything from
 pulling wire to setting up Exchange servers.  It's been
 fast paced and I've
 learned a lot.  But, I don't what to be stuck at the
 Help Desk for life.  I
 see a lot of cyber security positions online, but, I'm not
 sure what to
 think of that.  I don't have any Certs.  But, I've
 decided to get one, with
 the expectation that specialization will get me to
 profitable position that
 doesn't wear on me the way help desk does.  My most
 likely candidates are
 Network + and / or Security +.  So what do you think?

 Thanks in advance,  for your input!