[SATLUG] Woz "Meeting this month?" with out the "i"

Craig sargonemail at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 21:18:27 CDT 2014

http://openedjam.org/ at the end of this month got me thinking about
the following SATLUG situation:

> AV equipment would definitely be nice - are we still stuck in the area
> outside rackspace (i.e. not in the room with whiteboards?) - I'd love to
> give a presentation covering a bit more in depth the types of things we
> were discussing at the last meeting (android, building for arm, things of
> that nature) but without a whiteboard, I pretty much just wave my arms
> around while talking and look for a whiteboard to write on that doesn't
> exist.

<humor slant>
I guess the combination of things like
a) chromcast &
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hillmanworks.drawcast
b) easycast :
http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/03/19/ezcast-chromecast/?utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ezcast-chromecast
c) google cast
d) Mozilla's take on chromcast :
https://twitter.com/codepo8/status/479750747748175872
are a bit bleeding edge for the cafeteria big screen. ;)

Would SATLUG really have to worry about AV equipment if the group
provided something like https://developers.google.com/cardboard/
(the cardboard setup/cutouts that is, not the phone)?

Diy glass are still a bit pricey and doing something like
a project such as the following would require guerillabeam to release the
build files.
a)Take https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/open-source-guerillabeam#home
b)Replace "slide" with lcd screen controlled by beagle bone
c)Add on web cam
d)Add on processing script for detecting user interaction with "screen".
e)Add head attachment.

Something like InAir for the big screen TV control would be a better fit
for  the "arm waving". ;)
http://letsmakerobots.com/node/35147?page=1 can be reconfigured to
let one "write" in the air perhaps with
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/umotio-arduino-compatible-3d-gesture-controller
.
Using motion rings would allow one to "write" correctly. (e.g.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1761670738/ring-shortcut-everything
 http://arcusmotion.com/ )

Virtual whiteboard pen concept might be better, although,
not necessarily the "glass" teathered version (
http://www.techcinema.com/2014/04/google-draw-multifunctional-stylus-pen-unofficial.html
)

a) "doodle"
-- whiteboard ir pen :
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pressure-Sensitive-Tip-IR-Pen/ with
processing in order to allow for
digital 2d drawing?

b) "select a draw"
http://turtleacademy.com/ and

c) robo arm
-- whiteboard ir pen & http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:298820

Would there be enough bandwidth to bring a pre-configured wifi server
setup to handle the above within the cafeteria? ( http://wrtnode.com/ )

</humor slant>