[SATLUG] ssd problem

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 17:10:01 CDT 2014

Howard Haradon wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I installed a small (40G) Intel ssd drive a couple of years ago, but have
>> not been using it.
>>
>> At boot I get:
>
>     < SNIP >
>
>> Running hdparm I get:
>>
>> # hdparm -I /dev/sdc
>>
>> /dev/sdc:
>>   HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Input/output error
>> -----------
>>
>> The data that was on this drive is not particularly important, but is there
>> a way to recover the drive?  Or do I just discard it?
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>
> Have you looked to see if Intel offers a HD test
> CD to check out your drive?

I started to do that, but ended up removing the drive.  I then
downloaded a utility from Intel and put it back in the system.  Without
changing anything, it works again.  I didn't have to run the Intel
utility.  It seams that just removing the power and then restarting got
an effective reset.  Curious.

I do note that the SSD is not particularly fast.  It is plugged into a
SATA-2 port, but I get:

/dev/sdc1:
  Timing buffered disk reads: 484 MB in  3.01 seconds = 160.90 MB/sec
root at blfs [ /home/bdubbs ]# hdparm -t /dev/sdb3

Comparing to a standard rotating drive:

/dev/sdb3:
  Timing buffered disk reads: 396 MB in  3.01 seconds = 131.37 MB/sec

That's about 23% faster, but I don't consider that a dramatic difference.

   -- Bruce