[SATLUG] ssd problem

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 13:21:25 CDT 2014

Don Wright wrote:

> I seem to recall some server farm operator blogging that the cables were
> more critical to long-term reliability than the drives. I'm trying
> Nippon Labs now, based on their recommendation. Perhaps your failure was
> either from thermal cycling or lack of vibration to renew the gold-to-
> gold contact. Letting the capacitors discharge for a bit could also
> explain it, of course.  --Don

The problem came up when someone asked about access times on a ssd and
it tried doing 'hdparm -t /dev/sdc'  Perhaps that should have been sdc1,
but it now works.

I generally leave my systems up a long time.  One of my systems has been
up for 530 days.

It seems to me that the problem you describe would be a major issue.

   -- Bruce