[SATLUG] Hard Drive Designations

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 23 21:48:56 CDT 2014

I have a system that I want to use as a media center.  It has 2 hard
drives installed: one is IDE that I want to use as the primary -- OS,
apps, minimal user data, & media that won't change much over time (e.g.,
music library, etc.), and the other is a SATA drive that I want to use
for DVR recordings, video downloads, etc.  The IDE drive is also
designated as the boot drive in the BIOS.

I want the IDE drive to also be designated as the primary in the device
names as "sda", and the SATA to be "sdb".  But whenever I boot into
Linux, either from a live CD or when I install a distro, it designates
the drives the other way around.

Is there a way to switch these designations either during the install
process or after the fact?

TIA.

Al Lesmerises