[SATLUG] Hard Drive Designations

Steev Klimaszewski threeway at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 22:52:06 CDT 2014

Typically the boot device is designated as sda, whether it's IDE or SATA,
so that's definitely odd.  In the grand scheme of things, as long as your
fstab is set up correctly and boot arguments are also correct, it doesn't
particularly matter the name of the device.

I.E you could tell it in your bootargs that root=/dev/sdb2 and in your
fstab you'd have something like

/dev/sdb1 /boot
/dev/sdb2 /
/dev/sda1 /media

Obviously that's incomplete, but regardless, it should work fine.  As to
how some other distros do it, I'm not sure.