[SATLUG] WiMAX MAC Security

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:21:14 CDT 2014

Bryan Beicker wrote:
> His main point was that in formal Formal Computer Science education, one
> comes across the OSI model:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
>
> Of course, nobody really uses OSI, real world people use the defacto
> TCP/IP model:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_model
>
> Both layers have a "Link Layer", a low hardware level layer where things
> like MAC addresses are handled.
>
> Both layers place TLS encryption in a higher level layer.

TLS stands for Transport Layer Security so by definition, it is for the
transport layer.  There's is nothing that prevents encryption at any
level.  I don't see any problem with encrypting the frame at the link
layer, but that creates a lot of overhead.  About the only advantage I
see is to avoid some man-in-the-middle attacks or to hide ip addresses
or other data in the tcp or ip headers.

   -- Bruce