[SATLUG] Transitioning From Windows XP

Chris Montgomery chrisncats at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:06:38 CDT 2014

Howdy folks,

Been a long time since I've participated in this list.

I am seriously considering transitioning my computer's OS from Windows XP to
some form of Linux. My computer is 10 years old and has been running the WinXP
software that came installed on it but I am concerned about the emanate dropping
of XP support by Microsoft next week. I'm thinking that my way forward might be
to go the Linux route. My specific question is what might be the best way to
make the transition to Linux and I am looking for recommendations on what Linux
family to use. I've heard a lot about Ubuntu over the past several years but am
open to other suggestions.

FWIW, I ran Red Hat Linux 7.1 as my desktop system for about four months at the
end of 2000 - early 2001 but had to migrate back to Windows. So, just about
everything I've learned about Linux is dated and mostly forgotten. What say ye?

Cheers.

--
Best regards,

Chris Montgomery