[SATLUG] Audio Questions

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Wed May 14 19:15:54 CDT 2014

On 05/14/2014 06:31 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I have a new laptop and am a little confused by the audio setup.
> Using lspci|grep Audio, I get:
>
> 00:03.0 Audio device   : Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen
> Core Processor HD Audio Controller
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device   : Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series
> Chipset High Definition Audio Ctrlr
>
> lsmod gives:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by snd_hda_codec_conexant 36652
> 1 snd_hda_codec_hdmi     35060  1 snd_hda_codec_generic  49347  1
> snd_hda_codec_conexant snd_hda_intel          32556  0
> snd_hda_codec          85908  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,
> snd_hda_codec_conexant, snd_hda_codec_generic, snd_hda_intel
> snd_pcsp                7918  0 snd_hwdep               5892  1
> snd_hda_codec snd_pcm                77130  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,
> snd_hda_codec, snd_hda_intel, snd_pcsp snd_timer              17830
> 1 snd_pcm
>

> Looking at /proc/asound/cards:
>
> 0 [pcsp           ]: PC-Speaker - pcsp Internal PC-Speaker at port
> 0x61 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI HDA Intel HDMI
> at 0xb2610000 irq 46 2 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> PCH HDA Intel PCH at 0xb2614000 irq 45
>
> The system itself has built in speakers, a green sound output
> socket, and an hdmi port.
>
> My problem is how to best set up audio.  When I run alasmixer, I
> get three sound "cards":
>
> pcsp:  Master, Beep, and BaseFRQ.  It seems that Master and Beep
> can only be turned on or muted  an dBaseFreq can only be set to
> 18643 or 37286.

The beep is PC Speaker. You can rmmod pcspkr, I think to make that go
away, unless it's integrated with the intel audio, in which case you
just get to disable or enable the system beeper.

> HDA Intel HDMI: S/PDIF S/PDIF1 S/PDIF2.  These only seem to be able
> to be turned on or off.
Those are HDMI Digital audio outputs. So those are only toggleable. It
won't hurt anything to leave them on I think.

> HDA Intel PCH (Conextant CX20751/2):  Master Headphone Speaker Mic
> Boot Beep, Auto-Mute Mod, Internal Mic.  These appear to be
> normal.
>
> It seems that this third is the one I want, but what are the
> others?
>
> In a standard desktop system, I would have to hook up speakers to
> an audio jack and I would generally only have one sound card, but
> how are these three systems used?  I especially interested in what
> the HDMI is used for -- just output to a TV?

TV, Receiver. whatever.

I think they all output the same audio stream, but I'm not sure.