[SATLUG] (no subject)

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu May 22 08:50:47 CDT 2014

On May 22, 2014, at 1:00 AM, Bryan Beicker <bryan at beicker.com> wrote:

> Stick with one of the mainline browsers (Like Firefox or Chrome) but disable javascript and block ads/flash.
>
> NoScript + Adblock Plus makes for a much better browsing experience.

Both NoScript and AdBlock tools take up *significant* amounts of memory -- like way more than any other plugin.  They also take up a huge amount of CPU.

It takes a lot to parse all the incoming content and for each and every element try to decide whether or not it is covered by an existing whitelist or blacklist coming from NoScript or AdBlock.

I'm not saying that these tools don't greatly improve the browser experience, I'm just saying that you want to think long and hard about trying to use such heavyweight tools on a "frustratingly slow netbook".