[SATLUG] (no subject)

James McGuire blue6249 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:01:14 CDT 2014

Brad, I’m assuming you read the same article that I did on the mozilla blog. It’s an interesting read for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/05/14/adblock-pluss-effect-on-firefoxs-memory-usage/

--
James McGuire

On May 22, 2014 at 8:55:47 AM, Brad Knowles (brad at shub-internet.org) wrote:

On May 22, 2014, at 1:00 AM, Bryan Beicker <bryan at beicker.com> wrote:

> Stick with one of the mainline browsers (Like Firefox or Chrome) but disable javascript and block ads/flash.
>
> NoScript + Adblock Plus makes for a much better browsing experience.

Both NoScript and AdBlock tools take up *significant* amounts of memory -- like way more than any other plugin. They also take up a huge amount of CPU.

It takes a lot to parse all the incoming content and for each and every element try to decide whether or not it is covered by an existing whitelist or blacklist coming from NoScript or AdBlock.

I'm not saying that these tools don't greatly improve the browser experience, I'm just saying that you want to think long and hard about trying to use such heavyweight tools on a "frustratingly slow netbook".